Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Tribute to Lal Waterson 25-10-07

Someone asked me a couple of weeks ago if I had this: yes, I do have it and here it comes.
Lal Waterson was part of the Watersons, a british vocal folk band, whose main focus was on traditional songs; but in the seventies Lal started (at last) recording her own stuff, first with her brother Mike in the seminal 1972 LP "Bright Phoebus" and then with her sister Norma in 1977 ("A True Hearted Girl"), and finally in the nineties with the help of her son Oliver Knight for the 1996 masterpiece "Once in a Blue Moon" (which I uploaded some time ago here) and the 1999 "A Bed of Roses".
Lal Waterson passed away in 1998. 10 years later BBC broadcasted this tribute featuring many members of her family and band (Eliza Carthy, Martin Carthy, Norma, Mike) and fans among her colleagues (James Yorkston, Kathryn Williams). This is the recording of that night's tribute concert, but for those who want to know something more about Lal's life and work I invite you to go download the BBC 4 documentary @ the mudcat board (scroll down the page searching for the word "mediafire" and you'll find it).
By the way, I love James Yorkston's try at At first she starts.

This is a video from the tribute night with Lal's daughter Maria Gilhooley singing Fine horsemen:


1 comment:

horace said...

I have been searching for this for ages. I was out of the country when it was on the BBC. Thanks very much for this, it will do as my Christmas present to myself.